The 100 Portraits in 100 Days portrait series project in finished form!
Thanks to everyone who participated in my 100 Portraits in 100 Days project. I had a lot of fun painting so many smiling faces.
The project resulted in sales totaling $1600, half of which I donated to the American Cancer Society. Thank you again.
About the project
This portrait series was a great way to practice face painting skills.
I used several different grounds for this project, including Canson paper, UArt sanded paper and mat board that I coated with pumice and gesso. Plus experimenting with different under paintings including watercolors and alcohol washes, as well as different colored papers, helped keep it fresh, as well as playing with color palettes.
Sixteen of the portraits were skulls, with requests for one right off the bat, a few asking me to roll the dice, and four skullified versions of old masters paintings.
Four of the portraits were of animals, 3 dogs and 1 tortoise! Check the gallery and see if you can spot the cat that was included along with her human.
A few of the portraits requested were memorials for a loved one. I was honored by these requests and I hope they brought the recipients a measure of comfort.
Some of the portraits came together in as little as an hour. Some of them I labored over for days at a time. Towards the end of the project the stock of selfies dried up and I used reference images from wetcanvas.org and a few of my stash of family photos to finish.
As the portrait series progressed, the marks became more loose and confident, which was my goal from the start.
The gallery of all the portraits I did for this project is below. If you see a portrait that you’d like to have, email me and I’ll let you know if it’s available.
100 Portraits in 100 Days Gallery portrait series
Sign up for my Marie Marfia Fine Art newsletter! You’ll get regular updates about my latest work in the studio plus insights into my process. Plus, get a free downloadable print just for signing up!